Contributors

Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Well, it's certainly been a while.

Yes, believe it or not, I'm still here.  Life goes on, work goes on, and I'm still somewhat active.  It's been a strange year so far - being so busy, everyone getting really sick, job changes - and with the weather being unsettled and cooler, June has certainly sneaked up on me.

Work's good.  Family's good.  Can't ask for much more than that.  I'm certainly blessed.

I've been out running and biking inconsistently, and I'm slowly trying to improve upon that.  I find that if I got "whole hog" into it, I do too-much-too-soon and then I'm out again.  Slow and steady generates new habits for me.  Bike commuting is common for me, but with the office only 10min away, it's certainly not enough to incur any aerobic benefit.  :)  I do enjoy it, though, and I love racing the cars and buses along the way.  Last weekend was a good 1hr rainy ride with a couple good friends, and the week before that was a 3hr easy ride - from a cycling perspective I still have something from last year.  It may only be muscle memory, but it's still there.

As for the running front, I cannot say the same.  I've been working hard at staying motivated and ramping up easily, but my inconsistency is not helping matters.  The mental barrier to overcome isn't what it was - now, my mind still believes that I'm in the shape I was last year.  I go out way to fast and hard, spike my heart rate up above LT, and then try to hold on for the rest of the run.  I know those are great workouts to do, but not on every run.  :)  I'll try again tonight, and I'm thinking I'll have to swallow my pride and move back to aerobic intervals with walks between - I want/need my aerobic efficiency back.

And the swim?  Nonexistant.  Although I now do have one item for my birthday list - a swim pass.  I loved swimming, feeling the benefits of an efficient and powerful stroke, and the fitness benefits are incredible.  I haven't made it a priority to hit the lanes again, but more and more I feel like getting pulled back in.

And all of this probably needs to pick up again, and I don't think it's just me that is driving this.  My lovely wife (who supported me oh so much in the years past - as my past blog entries detail) seems to be egging me towards another Ironman.  She's certainly more subtle than my daughter at this ("C'mon dad!  You're an Ironman, remember?!?") but I'm pretty sure she's planting the seeds....or at least adding water and fertilizer for the ones that are already planted.  :)  I will admit that the new announcements out of Mont Tremblant has certainly stirred up the desire to tackle another big race, but I know how rational I need to be with this - time, money, vacation, family.  We'll see what the future holds.

But until then, I'll keep hitting the bricks...and doing it more often.

Thanks for reading again, folks!

And to all of the riders doing the Rideau Lakes Tour this weekend, enjoy it!  (Perhaps I'll be joining you next year!)

1 comment:

adena said...

Time sure does sneak up on you!! Work has gotten the better of me.