Contributors

Thursday, 25 April 2013

Finally - stability (for now)

"Instead of praying for an easier life, pray for a stronger back."

I don't know the last time I wrote something positive on this blog, let alone writing anything on it.  The last few months have been a blur, and any form of training has not taken a priority at all.  But this has been one crazy-ass ride lately.  Stomach flu, workplace "politics," another change in work.  It all seems to have taken its toll, and I keep thinking of the quote above.  The minister at our church said that once, and it has stuck with me.  And with that in mind, there's been a lot of praying the last few weeks.

"When one door closes, another opens."

I wasn't surprised when I was laid off - I had sensed that something was up for months.  I didn't trust my gut, and did my job, and did it better than anyone else in that role.  It didn't matter.  But this was different this time - instead of worry and remorse, I was filled with excitement and pride.  I did what I was hired to do, and I wouldn't change a thing - I did nothing wrong, after all.  Their loss is another's gain, and I proved it in under two weeks with two offers sitting in my inbox.  I start on Monday with an exciting, forward-thinking company on a really good growth curve.  Better yet - it's a 15min commute.

"Actions express priorities."

Now as the dust settles, and things start to return to some normalcy, I'm proud.  Tired, fatigued, restless, and very, very proud.  I did what was needed through all of this.  My priorities were properly set, my actions were well thought out, and my efforts paid off once again.  My family was my team, and we worked together on everything - and we're stronger for it.

As for training, it'll come.  I did the odd run here and there, but it was for mental reason rather than physical ones.  That's one of the great things about being active:  it serves you well both physically and mentally.  That was refreshing for me to remember that, being reminded that it's not always about getting faster or stronger or going longer.

No matter how dark the cloud, there's always a silver lining.  You just have to know where to look.


1 comment: