Contributors

Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Yet another attempt at a return

This has been one hell of a winter.  Work, life, colds and the flu, home repairs and car repairs, family and friends.  This winter has been insane - I don't recall being this busy since university, I think.

I think I have tried about 5 times this winter to "get back at it" and become active (fit?) once again.  For one reason or another (mainly owning an XBox), it just hasn't stuck and become habit just yet.  I haven't given up - not by a long shot - but I now realize just how goal-oriented I have been over the last few years.  And with the Ironman out of the way, my plan is carte blanche.

I used to do races in pairs when I hit a new distance.  The first one is tough because you just don't know what to expect.  The second one is tough because you do know what is coming and it becomes more mental.  I always felt that the second one was tougher than the first.  But I never realized how tough it would be when there's nothing to aim for.

I still don't know what I'm aiming for.  Perhaps I'm looking too far ahead, and need to examine things a little closer to me.  God knows I'm nowhere near the shape I used to be in, so maybe I need to stay more near-sighted.  Given that, here's what I do know:

  • I want to be a comfortable commuter on the bike this year.
  • I want to be able to run on the trails while my family bikes alongside.
  • I want to run with my daughter and encourage her to be active.
  • I want to be able to enjoy "longer" weekend rides with my friends, hopefully 2-3hrs in duration.
  • I want to start swimming again.
Maybe that's all it needs to be.  Maybe I don't need to worry about being a rock-solid performer after being branded as an Ironman.  I am an Ironman - I don't need to keep proving it do I?

Maybe things will become more consistent now, since we're now on Daylight Savings Time (I still hate that...my Saskatchewan roots are showing) and the snow is going away.  Maybe that's what I need to get the ball rolling again.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Why not look for one of these obstacle runs that are flooding the US? Are they up your way? The Warrior Dash, The Color Run, The Spartan Race, etc etc..