Contributors

Friday, 16 December 2011

T-minus 8 months, 3 days

Holy crap it's the middle of December already!  Hard to believe.  It seems like the older I get the faster time passes me by.

Even with all the goings-on lately, my mind is getting more and more focused for this Ironman gig.  My swim is getting solid thanks to Greg (who I hope to bring aboard as a run coach too), the workout room has been reorganized, and I'm experimenting with TrainingPeaks.com and my new Garmin Forerunner 305.  And the weather here in Ottawa has been extremely conducive to training, with temperatures above freezing for the most part and no snow or ice on the pathways...yet.

My good buddy Scott tripped over a video that he let me know about, and I've gotta tell ya, it hit me hard.  I knew exactly what he was getting at, and the speech made me think long and hard about my personal thoughts of myself - perhaps even my beliefs in myself.  I never expected a video to hit me that hard, but this one really did.  And I'm glad for that.  It made me rethink things I hadn't thought about for years, face things that I had tucked away a long time ago.  And it made me think about how I can approach things differently.  Change is good.  That speech is going up on my workout room wall, and I'm going to read it every day.

Week 1 of 24 starts March 5, 2012.  That's when things get serious, when start the real journey to completing an Ironman.  And on that day, I want to feel prepared as best as possible, with some "habits" in place.  I want my weekly volumes around 3hrs each for running, cycling and swimming.  I want to be used to having one workout session 6 days out of 7.  I want to be eating healthy, stretching regularly.  I want to have good base fitness in place to work hard for 24 more weeks.  And I want to be happy through it all - with my family.  Those are a lot of goals to have, and I don't mind.  Goals are just dreams with a plan, and we all want to reach our dreams.

My goals are in sight, and I feel like I'm taking the first steps towards them.  Feels good.

3 comments:

Scott Cannon said...

Those are great goals. Three hours of each sport per week should keep you at a good baseline level for when you start the serious training. I'm trying to do that myself, but I'm not enough runner to do an Ironman. A friend and I are going to do a half-ironman in a couple years. You've got to work up to something like that. Good luck!

JohnP said...

If you're looking for videos to hit home and motivate you, I've compiled 100+ videos in a playlist that I watch on the trainer. You can go through them here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL18E819293EC82B8C

David Criswell said...

Thanks for giving TrainingPeaks a try! Let us know if we can help or answer any questions.