Contributors

Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Nesting

This fall has been an odd time for me with so much going on and to be honest, I've had some trouble dealing with it.  My head has been foggy, my focus less than usual, and my fatigue high.  I feel aimless, restless, and haven't been sleeping well lately, and I don't really know why.

This week is better, so far, mainly because I'm trying to do the simple things that matter first, and pushing other stuff away.  Thanks to that, my head is becoming clearer, even when the backlog of items is getting longer.

With this clearer head, I've noticed something that really surprises me - I'm nesting.  Yes, nesting, like a pregnant woman coming to term, awaiting the contractions.

Odd, I know, but I can't describe it any other way.  I'm setting myself up for next year's Ironman Mont Tremblant right now by getting stuff done.  Projects at work are getting more attention and direction.  I'm redoing the backsplash and countertops in the kitchen.  I'm cleaning and tuning up my bikes.  I'm getting ready to paint the workout room.  Christmas gift lists are doubling as lists of "what I'll need for all the training next year."  It's like I'm expediting all of next year's projects into November and December, making January through August clear for the training.

It's weird, but it does make sense.  Deep down I know I want to be as ready as possible to focus on this training:  easy stuff done easily; hard stuff done really hard; and lots of base building.  With training consuming between 10 and 20hrs of training a week (something I've never done before), there will be times where there's not much extra time left, and that time will be time to spend with family and friends.  I just wish I didn't feel like a woman at the end of her third trimester.

Until these projects get completed, training and base building will have to take a backseat.  I'm still getting some of that done, but with much lower volumes.  But don't worry - come January, those volumes will ramp up significantly, and with a solid direction in view.

2 comments:

Closet Artist said...

Now you just need to paint our 2-storey dining room!! lol

JohnP said...

Yup! Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Get that stuff out of the way now. Clear your backlog of work, get the honey-to-do list out of the way and stockpile them brownie points!

She's gonna be a widow and You'll just be an empty suit once the meat of the training plan arrives! :)