Contributors

Monday, 6 June 2011

Rider down

Thankfully, it wasn't me, but perhaps 10min earlier it could have been. I was biking to work today along a smooth, well-marked stretch of quiet road when I came across the broken bike and the bloodied body of someone enjoying the beautiful morning. Thankfully there were some people caring for him and the paramedics were almost there when I passed by. He was conscious, but certainly hurt, perhaps with a broken nose.

My guess is that the rider was heading down the small hill when the vehicle involved drove into the bike lane to pass cars turning left, temporarily blocking their way. That move left the cyclist to plow into the back of the car, breaking off the fork and front wheel. Thankfully, he was wearing a helmet.

Please be careful out there folks. In a car, on a bike, or even just running along, remember that we all have families and friends to get home to.

No comments: