Contributors

Friday, 20 May 2011

We are getting close

Just a little over a week now until the marathon. I am in the middle of the taper and I am trying to stick with it. So far I feel like I am beyond the point of no return - it doesn't matter if I am not ready 'cuz there is not enough time to adjust now. But to be completely honest I believe that I will get this done successfully, with the only question being the final time and I really don't care much about that. While it would be amazing to knock out a sub-4 run, my only goal is to finish with a smile on my face.

There are those old voices of "what if" and worry, and I know that I am not alone in that. Events that are this size last long enough for The Fates to come out and play, and lots can go wrong. The other big worry centers around my heart, which still waits to see the cardiologist for interpretation of my test results. Things have been good with the ticker for some time now, but it was like that before too.

But I am still going to do this run, and in doing so I will follow the plan that has worked so far. HR at 150, gel and fluids every 25-30min, and a pace near 6min/km. Hat, sunscreen, and my favorite, most comfortable clothes. A bottle or two of Recoverite waiting at the finish, a protein bar, and a few days of good stretching to follow that.

I know that my family is worried about me doing this race and I want them to know that I will not take any of this for granted, nor will I risk my health for a simple medal - my ego won't take over. I have too much to come home to and that means more to me than any sport or challenge ever could. I will gladly throw this race away to stay safe and healthy. You guys are my team. And it is your support, love and encouragement that helped me get to this point. Thank you.

That reminds me. I used to believe that running and triathlon were individual sports - they are classified that way, aren't they? Well I can tell you that is not the case at all. You may be out there on the road all alone, but you have a team with you all day long that helps you get there - spouse, daughter, parents, friends, coworkers and many others that share your life. They are the unsung heroes that help you get to the races, get the long sessions in, and help you through it all. Don't forget to thank them regularly, and don't take them for granted.

No comments: