Contributors

Thursday, 14 April 2011

Good spin, bad sleep

Yesterday's thoughts of biking to work fell apart (I wimped out because of the rain, quite frankly) so I hopped on the trainer last night and did Aero Base Builder III with good ol' Coach Troy. I didn't have my HRM with me, so I went on perceived exertion, and followed along as best as I could.

The whole thing felt really good. I'm not used to being on the aerobars any more, and I might need to adjust them a bit too, but I did stay down on them the whole time. Tuesday night's breaststroke and butterfly work in the pool did a number on my legs and I was still feeling it on the bike. I focused hard on keeping nice smooth circles on the crank to make it worth my while, and hopefully loosen up things a bit.

I did a good bit of stretching, had a shower, and went to bed a bit later than usual. I was looking forward to getting some solid rest.

But I couldn't settle down. My mind was alive with thoughts of anything but sleep. I decided to move to the spare room and save my wife the trouble of dealing with a Mexican jumping bean all night long. The rest of the night was a mix of my legs and arms cramping up randomly, and my daughter fighting demons in her sleep (poor kid). My sinuses decided to fill up, my throat got sore, and before I knew it the alarm was going off.

I was doing alright this morning until about half way through to noon, where the drudgery of office life made me feel just how tired I am. Wow - I don't know how young kids do it. In university, a few hours sleep was a piece of cake, but now I feel like I got run over by a Mack truck. Yes, I turn 40 this year, and it feels like it too. :D

1 comment:

JohnP said...

Ditto. I had one of them non-sleeps the past couple of nights.

On the bright side, at least I'm not 40! lol