Contributors

Friday, 11 March 2011

My 3 R's

[1] Register

Yup, I did it. I finally, nervously, registered for my first attempt at a full marathon. Deep down I want to try this, while on the surface there's doubt and nervousness. It's time to step up.

[2] Refocus

I need to get back to examining each week of training before the week happens. Need to plan my approach, pick which workouts mean the most for that week, and be like Nike - just do it. For the next few weeks, ignore the fact that the swim is suffering. Ignore that the bike is suffering. Stick to the marathon plan, beef up the run. There will be all summer and fall to ramp back up with the bike and the swim.

[3] Recommit

This training plan is not as heavy as the half-iron tri plan I've followed the two years before. So I should have no problems getting the work done. I just need to commit to doing it, and I'll need to plan each week to trend towards success on each one.

Next week is the half-way point: Week 9 of 18. Looking ahead the long runs get bigger, the volume increases, the goal gets within reach. I need to keep my eye on the prize, man-up and not let things like dark early mornings and crappy weather stop me. That stuff just feeds the weak part of my mind, and that's not who I want to be.

Time to stand up, step up, and show up.

1 comment:

JohnP said...

yes! Yes! YES!!!! I love it! Registering for races is so exciting! You are totally right - JUST DO IT!

I'm saving my first marathon for the end of an Ironman. I've never run that far before lol.

Commit or Die.