Contributors

Friday, 11 February 2011

Swim fins and pool walls

Last night's swim was an absolute killer for me. Lots of work with fins, and it was punishing. Lots of IM stuff too. I knew with the warm-up that we were in for a tough night.

The first part of the main set was 12x75m with 10sec rest after each. The 75s were grouped in 4s - 4 freestyle, 4 butterfly, 4 backstroke. Within that, each 75 was made up of 25m hard-ass kick, 25m hard swim, and 25m hard-ass kick. The whole thing was done with swimfins, and my hips and core sure felt every bit of it.

After that was 5x100m IM with fins. I was taking a bit more rest at this point, 'cause I was finding that when rested, I could actually do the strokes properly. Butterfly with fins was coming around, and I was focusing very, very hard on the timing. I could feel it when that timing worked out - the stroke was so much easier.

On the 3rd of the 100m IM, my focus was too strong. I pushed off the wall a bit crooked with the fins, and angled over towards the side wall a bit too much. There was an opening there, where a waterslide empties, so I thought I was okay. One big fly kick, one big pull, and SLAM! I drove the back of my left hand into the wall corner at the opening. I knew this could be bad, so I stopped immediately and headed to the side. The coach saw the whole thing, and was there in an instant.

I hit just above the wrist, probably right at the carpels. The goose-egg grew rapidly, and there was a bit of blood. (I hate injuries and blood - I get extremely nervous and tend to pass out.) I stayed calm, and headed for the lifeguard room to get ice and some tending. I was sure I didn't break anything, but probably sprained my wrist a bit.

Obviously, the rest of the swim was a write-off for me. I had some kind folks stick with me to make sure I was okay (which I was), got changed, and headed home. The bandage has stayed on, and won't come off for a while yet. (Ick.)

This morning the swelling is all but gone, and the wrist aches. I'm confident nothing is broken, but my wrist is making itself known. It's been a tough day so far, with queezy feelings because of it - I wish I could shake that. I hate to use this as an excuse, but I will. No run today, even though I really really want to. Might hop on the bike for a spin tonight, but we'll see how it all works out.

Sigh. I was just starting to get that damned stroke too...

1 comment:

JohnP said...

*cringe*
Ohhh sorry to hear about your accident! That sounds really painful! I've done something similar in the past, I hope you heal up quick!
Keep up posted! advil and ice are your friend! :)