Contributors

Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Just a wee bit of HTFU

Last night was The Return to the Pool after a month and I was a bit skeptical about how I would hold up. I made the smart and realistic decision to focus more on form than performance and do my best. That worked out rather well and I had a ball.

The set delivered by the coach helped out too. Rather than nail us with harder stuff, it was all about form and returning to activity. I completed 2500m and it was all freestyle with focus on drills, the feel of the water, and long relaxed strokes. And I'm happy to say that muscle memory took over quickly and I had no floundering or struggling whatsoever.

It felt good to be back in the pool, feeling the water flow and ebb around me. I always feel great coming out of the water, like I have been decompressed or something. Good times.

I was tempted to get up early and spin the bike, but decided rather to sleep a but more and get a run in at lunch (besides I was up too late working on router issues). I think I will try to get 3 or 4 short runs in this week to get the legs and such ready for marathon training. The weather has been rather warm lately, with some light snow to make things pretty in the city. It should be enjoyable outside today. The only bad thing on the weather is that it has been too warm - skating rinks and the Rideau Canal skateway are nowhere near frozen enough to skate on yet.

But with most of January and all of February remaining, I am sure that will all change soon enough. :)

2 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Isn't this just the craziest winter so far? I haven't even cracked out the xcountry ski's yet...and have even thought about getting the mountain bike out for some rides through the Torbolton Forest or even Fitzroy Park...

for a fun little run on January 16th, Richmond Road Race is always a great way to start the year!

JohnP said...

I hope my 'return' to swim is as good as yours.

I haven't been in the pool in ages... ok maybe a week. but still!!