Contributors

Thursday, 13 January 2011

How an engineer plans for a marathon

Most "normal" people prepare for a marathon in a rather simple manner. The find a book or website with the plan they want, count back weeks on their calendar to fit the training in, and hang up a paper copy of the plan on a wall for easy reference.

I'm an engineer. And I write software for a living. That is not how "people like me" do it.

First, you save a copy of the webpage that shows the training plan in HTML. Then you write an awk script that will strip out the plans details into a CSV format that matches Google Calendar's import rules, add dates, and import the whole thing into you Google Calendar account so you can see the plan on any electronic device you own/carry. And if I want to take it up a notch, I can have Google Calendar SMS my training plan items to my cellphone.

Yup, it's just that simple.

No wonder my wife shakes her head at me.

2 comments:

Closet Artist said...

Yep sittin' here right now shakin' my head!!! lol

Donna said...

I married the "Kind". I know it all to well. :) I say, "whatever works!"