Contributors

Wednesday, 20 October 2010

No focus = water

Once again there has been a lot going on in our lives. I guess this is the year for our family where everything just decides to happen. Yes we are adding to the mix ourselves but it feels like that is the needle in the haystack.

Except for one thing, that is. We may be buying a new home. I guess we figured that since Google didn't move us we would move ourselves! Need to justify all that purging my wife did!

My mind has been all over the map lately (no pun intended) with mortgages, inspections, calculations, fix-up lists and the like. Work has been so busy (still) that I am kept occupied enough that my mind gets a break from home buying, but even then I am sure it is there subconsciously. Last night was no exception.

I left work early to take my daughter to an appointment then we went for supper and saw the potentially new home for the second time. We think we will put in an offer but the financing is still unknown. We got some information yesterday but to be honest I didn't understand it all. Finally, the night ended and I went off to swim.

I could not get a clean stroke all night and I was much slower than usual. I took on water nearly every lap and was gasping all night long. I stayed in the faster group (not the fastest!) and just did what I could. It wasn't until the last few minutes that it all fell together.

The main set was 4x250m with changing breathing every 50m. We switched breathing 3-5-7-5-3 with the changes on 50m. Usually this is done with pull buoys but not last night. The first 250 was reasonable but I started struggling on the next one. I was so out of breathe I could do nothing but focus on the efficiency (and lack thereof) of my stroke. I made it through the last two successfully with a clear mind that had finally found balance and form in the water. The mind is a powerful thing!

This morning I am back thinking about houses again. It'll be a lot of work but if it works out, it will be a good move for us personally and financially. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Trevor Oseen said...

Great to see that you may be moving tent poles soon, our day is 6 days away!

Anyhow, to add on to the confusion of moving I am off to Ottawa on Sunday afternoon (returning Monday afternoon) with meetings in the PM, however, I may be able to muster a 10 miler or something in the morning if you are up to it?

I am staying at the Novotel, which means pretty much nothing to me as I have never been to Ottawa.

Have a great evening!