Contributors

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Habits

This week has been all about getting adjusted once again to a solid return to activity and healthier "approaches" in life. I wasn't expecting a complete change, but I was geared for changes in the right direction. I'm pretty proud to say that I hit that. I made some smarter choices, and just need to build on that.

One thing I'm catching myself on is the biking. Once again I've become a "fair weather" cyclist so any chance of rain makes me become a softy and the bike continues to hang on the hook. In the past, this was an easy way to get 2hrs of activity in by commuting to work. Now it's become something that seems to be getting tougher to do with the shorter days, cooler temperatures, and the new chunk of construction on the road out of my neighborhood. I have brought my Felt inside and put it on the trainer, and actually used it once last week, but I'll need to (a) get those Spinervals DVDs active more often, and (b) actually pull the Ridley out on the weekends while I still can.

Habit 2 is one that's lost - swimming. With the limbo I was in over the Google stuff, I didn't sign up for this fall/winter/spring session and now it's full. I am #1 on the waiting list, so now I just wait. If I were smart (and actually capable of hauling my ass out of bed), I could get some maintenance swims in at Ottawa U just to keep some form of swimming in my life.

That's a good segue to Habit 3 - the inability to get my butt out of bed. I'm not even going to try tossing out any excuses there.

Habit 4 is one that needs to be broken - emotional eating. Sure, I may not have a "condition" surrounding this, but when I get tired/bored/whiney/sucky I eat stuff. Unhealthy stuff. Dessert-type stuff. Come to think of it, it's not on just the "bad" emotions either. I'm more than happy to indulge on "date night" with my wife, or on weekend outings with my family. This will take some time to change, and it's simply something to stay aware of.

Now with these items identified, and with some great successes through the week (in terms of exercise, work and diet), it's more of the same, but I'm aiming for more consistency this week. The image below is my "calories eaten vs. burned" chart from DailyBurn. As you can see, it's not consistent. :) But I'm also not disappointed with it.

Why, you may ask?
  • I have some days where consumed calories fit where they should.
  • Sept. 25 - Vanilla bean cheesecake. 'Nuff said.
  • Sept. 27 - Ice cream with my daughter.
  • Sept. 29 - 8k run and proper diet pays off BIG!
  • Sept. 30 - Boss supplied beer and pizza for lunch. How can you not participate?!?!?
  • Oct. 2 - Date Night. This is sacred and untouchable, so don't even go there!
Quite frankly, I'm living life well right now. Training and diet isn't perfect, but I'm greatly enjoying my time with my family and friends.

Other bits of "news" that is "noteworthy"
  • Sold my old Johnny G Spinner bike. First person who contacted me bought it without negotiating. Should have asked for more. :D
  • That sale paid for a new trainer for my wife, who's keen on spinning with me through the winter. Finally a partner for spinning. It's an Elite Fluid Alu, and quite frankly, it's making me question the extra $$$ I paid for my CycleOps Fluid 2.
  • The fall colors are out in full force, so we met friends at the Beaver/Chipmunk Trail in the Greenbelt near home. We were in the woods for nearly 2hrs hand-feeding chickadees and chipmunks, and entertaining all the kids with a garter snake my wife found. It was a great way to spend part of the day.
  • We finally had a couple of days without rain, so the lawn / Vietnamese jungle finally got cut. How bad was it? It took 2hrs and two passes. The first past was with the side discharge to swath down a good 4-5" of the grass, and the other pass to try to mulch the cuttings. Let's just say I'll be back out there tomorrow to try to mulch it up more - it's a mess!
Gee, it looks like I need to do these updates more often.

Oh yeah, I forgot one. My good buddy Scott has it all planned out! We're training this year and next, so we can take the families to Florida for Disney and the Great Floridian. I'm all for it, Scott, but you might wanna let your wife know about this...before next October. :D

1 comment:

Lily on the Road said...

Wow, so much going on! Sorry to read about the job in CA didn't work out, sounds like quiet a process.

Totally understand the fair weather thing, unless I have something concrete to train for it's just hard to find the motivation when it is dark, cold and raining outside.

Have fun at Rattle Me Bones, I haven't raced that in several years, but it is for such a great cause...have fun!