Contributors

Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Where one journey ends...

If you haven't noticed, I've been absent from this blog for some time. Few posts, few workouts, few comments. Well, now that the ride's over, I can tell you a bit about it.

A few weeks back I was contacted by Google about working at their offices in Mountain View, California. I wasn't looking, but with this opportunity showing, I figured I'd better chase it down. In a nutshell, that's been the last two months. Screenings, interviews, airplane flights, studying, evaluations. That on top of an already busy lifestyle as a husband, father, professional and "on sabbatical" triathlete.

And as of today, it ended. Unfortunately, I didn't demonstrate what Google wanted.

Now I should quantify that a bit. I firmly believe that I have what they want. Where I didn't succeed was in demonstrating that effectively. That's where I'm disappointed. I can do the work, design the algorithms, implement and test the software - just like the professionals there do. But what came out was a "false negative" and the opportunity has dissolved.

I do take great pride in making it as far as I could, with the final step in Google's court. I'm even prouder of the fact that this is the second time I've done it with them (the first time was for a similar position in Seattle). Both times the experience was tough, never-ending, and surprisingly enlightening. I've learned a lot about myself and where I want my career to go through both of these sessions.

Will there be a third time? I don't know. I hope so. I don't know what I'd decide to do then, but I'd like the opportunity to make that decision.

So now that the chances of heading south have ended, it's time to re-evaluate here at home. What's next? I don't know, but I do know that we're moving forward, looking for new opportunities, new changes, new adventures. And all this with much lighter shoulders!

To my family - thanks for all the support and encouragement, and for always believing in me.

No comments: