Contributors

Monday, 30 August 2010

"Aye, there's the rub."

That is one of the few quotes from Shakespeare that (a) I enjoy and (b) remember. I believe it is from Macbeth, at the point of some serious mental anguish that I don't remember. Whatever it was, it fits the topic this morning, as I have bits of mental goo to figure out.

The company I am interviewing with suggested that I find programming tests and questions to prepare for on-site interviews. "Do the really hard ones" I was told. Well, I found one. It's a doozy, and it is quite likely one that is similar to what they deal with daily. Trouble is that I have yet to figure out an efficient way to solve it. I barely know a brute-force way to solve it. It is a nasty mix of graphs, permutations, and rollback strategies that is tricky enough for me to repeatedly stumble. Not many days left to solve it....

I am also tripping over why we should (possibly) move to California. It is expensive, huge, we won't have a home like we do now and on and on. Then there is the whole relocation, the U.S. Residency changes, the taxes, the recreation of a credit rating (mine won't carry over from Canada) and probably a bazillion other things to deal with. I am really trying to leave all that until I need to make a decision, but I am really committing myself by heading for on-site interviews. If any reader out there have tips, please leave a comment.

Ah well, I am sure it will all work out - somehow. Now to figure out how to solve that graph problem....


Sent from my iPod

No comments: