Not that I can afford this right now, but they announced a new Ironman recently:
It's May 2011 with the HUGE distinction of being held right in my sister-in-law's backyard! Seriously - she lives no more than 10min from the swim start in Lake Woodlands. Here's the pros and cons:
- Pro: We could pair this up with a big visit with family we almost never see.
- Pro: I could probably stay with SIL for the entire visit.
- Con: $600USD registration fee.
- Con: My run sucks (still), but that's a pretty crappy excuse for anything.
- Pro: The entire venue looks AWESOME.
And when it comes to IM Texas vs. IM USA at Lake Placid, it is cheaper to
- Drive to the sight and pay for 1-2wks hotel and food, or
- Fly family (and bike - gotta pay for that) to Houston and have free room?
Oh boy, this is tempting...oh so tempting.
Of course, those "demons" in my head are second-guessing this whole thing, and all my abilities (heh, what's new there?!?).
(I know my wife's mind is made up - expect to see her comment below shortly!) :D