Contributors

Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Once again, my thanks to my wife

Swim: 1800m

My wife knows me better than I know myself. She's good that way. She's like that with our daughter too. I've seen Mother's Instinct work first-hand and fully believe in it. What's odd is that she's got Wife's Instinct too, and more often than not, that's right too (even if I don't like it).

She's always pushing me further when I don't think I can go any farther. She's always encouraging me to extend my reach when I don't believe that I can do any more. She believes in me more than I believe in myself.

And when I'm sick, or my daughter's sick, stay out of her way. When we get weaker, she only gets stronger, and she knows (somehow) when we're back to normal. And when that happens, she's back kicking my ass to get back to normal.

I've been very hesitant to go back to training/activity after being so sick for so long. I didn't want to have any of whatever-it-was to occur again (FYI - the latest thought is a lower and upper GI infection, leading to dyspepsia). Yet my wife somehow knew that I would be okay, and basically told me I was biking on Sunday. All was good.

She helped me realize that I'm back to normal. And if I'm not, I've still gotta live my life. So thanks to her, I'm back to doing what I was before...with a bit of a change. Since dropping the half-iron in July, my summer plans consist of these key points:
  • enjoy the summer
  • enjoy the summer with my family
  • have fun biking around
  • have fun running
  • focus more on key run workouts to improve for fall and next year.
That sure takes a lot of pressure off! Now I am just going to do what I feel like for the summer. As for races, I probably won't do any more tris this year (which I'm sad about) but I'll still do tri-like training. But real training will be in the run, which has been lacking improvement for years now. And if I do that well, I can still get in some running events in the fall (and maybe even a late-season duathlon).

Tonight was the first swim of the summer masters session. It's twice a week, and it's full of much more skilled swimmers than the session I was in during the winter. Lots of newer swimmers still, but the ranks have moved up in all lanes. I'm still in the "faster" lane, but now I'm at the bottom end of it. Which is fine by me - I'll suffer a bit there to make some solid gains. I'm tired, but performed well - hell, I probably should after doing nothing really for a few weeks. :D

So once again, to my wife, for always making my life normal - thank you. I'm happy your by my side.

2 comments:

Closet Artist said...

"more often than not, that's right too"??
hmm are you sure you didn't mean to say "she's ALWAYS right, no question about it? LOL

i've got your back no matter what baby!!
Love you!!

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds like a very clever lady you have in your corner.

Enjoy your summer, doesn't it feel great when you make the right decision and the pressure is off.