Contributors

Monday, 22 March 2010

So close! So close!

I spent a bit of time yesterday getting my road bike ready for the commuting and general riding this year. I thought I'd ride in to work this morning, especially since the rest of the week is supposed to suck (snow, rain, wet snow). I got the tires pumped up, the backup kit ready, packed my clothes into my backpack and laid out my riding clothes for the morning. I knew it would be cool (below freezing) but I've got the gear for it. I went to bed a little jittery with the anticipation of the first outdoor ride of the year.

Waking up at 6am, which is normally tough to do anyways, was even tougher when I saw heavy fog out the window. "Okay, so visibility may be a bit of an issue" I thought. I was just going to wear more reflective stuff and slap a red blinker on the back of the bike...until I saw the deal-breaker: frost.

I really wanted that ride today. Really. But riding on slick 21mm tires on wet, frosty roads while clipped in is not my idea of fun. Add rush-hour traffic that's only a foot or two away from you and you could have a recipe for disaster. I didn't want that ride that badly. But it would have been nice to get a couple of "free" hours on the bike today.

Sigh. Looks like I'll just have to settle for tonight's swim. After not swimming at all last week, I should feel this good!


Here's my anticipated plan for the week - I'm just hoping it'll stick:

  • Monday: masters swim
  • Tuesday: 45min run with 10x30sec sprints on 2min rest ; 65min ride with 8x1min hills on 2min rest
  • Wednesday: 2100m swim with 1500m steady set
  • Thursday: 40min steady run ; 1h15 steady bike
  • Friday: 1h steady run
  • Saturday: rest
  • Sunday: 2h steady ride

No comments: