Contributors

Monday, 14 December 2009

'Tis the season!

I know I'm supposed to be training, and I know I'm supposed to be writing to this blog, and I know I'm supposed to be eating better. But let's all face it - it's the holiday season. And so far it's been a lot of fun. A lot of work, but a lot of fun.

There has been a lot of family time, and lot of daddy-daughter time, all through the week. Christmas decorations, setup of the Christmas trees, hanging of ornaments, gingerbread house making, "snow time," and Christmas card making just touches the surface of what we've accomplished outside of work. I find that I'm seeing the holidays through my daughter's eyes more and more each year.

Friday night my wife scored a bunch of tickets to the Ottawa 67s hockey game. It's our junior team here, and along with being significantly cheaper than Senators tickets, it's far more kid friendly as well. My daughter absolutely loved it, and lasted a full two periods before succumbing to the sleepies (and crankies). We'll definitely be going back with her for more games through the year.

Saturday we entertained our good friends Scott and Alison and their two kids. The three kids basically played all on their own for a few hours, then we all consumed copious amounts of food and desserts, and then Scott and I took the kids into the yard for snow time. We did "bowling" with the kids on saucer sleds, and then headed to the backyard with shovels to build a sledding hill. Then they hit the swings and chased us around. All told, we ran the kids around for about 70min - they were spent! (As was I.)

Sunday was another playdate for my daughter, which covered more dress-up time, more Christmas crafts, and more snow time. We built-up the sledding hill more and got it up to about 4' high now. The kids were sliding a good 30', and were getting closer to the fence each time. My father-in-law and I are now trying to figure out how we can mist water on the hill and build it up even further. :) It could turn into a full-blown bobsled run if we do it right!

So yes, there's been no training this week. It may even continue that way for this week. But it's all good, 'cause the holidays are generating a lot of fun for us all. We're all tired from that - but it's a good tired.

The trianing attitudes may change after this weekend, though, as NBC is airing their annual Ironman World Championships Recap this Saturday. According to Ironman.com, it airs 4:30-6:00pm EST. I love watching it, and I'm pretty sure that it'll motivate me to move my ass much more than I am now!

2 comments:

skierz said...

hey, its the holiday season and that is a time for food, family and friends!! It will be cold and boring soon, lots of time for training then! Have fun!

Steve Stenzel said...

I can't WAIT to see the IM coverage this weekend!!

And guess what?! The contest rules have been changed after I talked to the PR folks, and it's open to Canadians now! So SIGN UP! Just thought you'd want to know...