Contributors

Tuesday, 10 November 2009

3634

The short:

This is the number of calories I consumed today. 3634. In. One. Day.

The long:

Over the last couple of weeks, as I examine my last season as a triathlete, one of the things that keeps coming up is nutrition - and not just on race day. I know that my race day nutrition strategies are very weak, but I know how to approach that for next year.

What has concerned me is my everyday nutrition.

Even two years ago, as I worked towards my first half-iron tri, I was working out up to 8 times a week, burning serious calories the whole time, and I never dropped a pound. If I were 160lb, fine. But I'm 210lb. If I'm not dropping a bit of weight, that means that I'm not eating right. And if I'm not eating right, I'm not preparing my body for the next workout, and that can mean that I'm not benefitting enough from it.

I used FitDay for a bit last year, bit I didn't get enough information (or I didn't interpret it well) to make much sense of things. Recently I stumbled across an app for my iPod Touch - DailyBurn - which complements the DailyBurn website. The app was free, so I figured I'd give it a try. I find that the visual feedback helps me out more with DailyBurn, and even though the base metabolic rate is estimated, I don't expect it's too far off - at least not as far off as my actual calorie intakes are. The user interface on the web page does need some work (mainly on the exercise page), but the data seems to be more readily available and the food search is very impressive too.

I've been doing it for about two weeks now, and already I've learned a few things:
  • My daily food intake is carb heavy. Really carb heavy. I think I've been letting workouts be my excuse for eating what I want.
  • In general I do well, but my "treat" days kill me and take me WAY over the top. Like today.
  • I've yet to get my daily minimum of protein. Wow. How long has this been happening?
  • I don't drink enough water.
  • My calorie intake through the day increases, rather than staying flat or decreasing. Of all the meals in the day, breakfast has the fewest calories, which probably drives the increased calories at lunch, dinner, and snacking.
In two weeks, to learn that, I think is quite good. Now it's time to see what works better, and what things I need to stock in the fridge.

Good thing it's the off season! Next to examine - workout patterns!

1 comment:

Setanta said...

I hear ya!
The only way I successfully shifted weight was shifting to a low GI diet, but training on that diet was difficult. Last season I trained like a monster and similarly lost no weight. It's one of my goals over the off season to change my diet and lean off some fat.

190lb and holding.