Contributors

Monday, 26 October 2009

Coming up for air

Remember when I said I needed to stop having weeks like this? Well, I really, REALLY do. And so far it looks as though I'm not the only one.

I'm really feeling like I need to turn the page on this, make a change (of some sort) to incorporate fitness in my life more consistently. Notice I used the term "fitness" rather than "training" - I can't do the latter if I can't maintain and work on the first one. And with work grabbing all the focus lately, neither is getting done.

In trying to determine what approach to take, I realize just how selfish I am. I find it appalling to consider waking at 4.30am for a workout, fully expecting that my day should allow for a workout at my convenience. But when I "can't" get a session in, I get stressed (and consequently cranky) for the rest of the day. I'm a slave to structure, and when there is none, I'm lost. But when there structure, and it's too rigid, I'm equally frustrated. Sheesh!

So I'm starting the week anew (again). And I'm going to try to allow for some of life's little surprises in it. For this week, here are my goals to reinstate both fitness and focus:

  • 3 runs this week, between 5 and 8km only. Focus on getting the base back with quality, not quantity.
  • Restart the 100 pushups program. 10min, three times a week - I've GOT to be able to find time for that!
  • Swim tonight, again focused on quality and form.
  • Get at least 5 workouts this week between runs, swims and rides.

I'm really hoping that this will be easy to achieve, and frankly, I fully expect that I should be able to make all of these goals. Here's to hoping!

No comments: