Contributors

Wednesday, 3 June 2009

Saddle Verdict

Spin:  1h45 (Spinervals 13.0)

Last night, after putting my daughter to bed, I hopped on the trainer and did the prescribed 1h45 "foundation ride" with the new saddle.  This test may have been a bit skewed for the saddle, however, as I was wearing tri shorts this time (yeah, I've got laundry to do) and the Tough Love DVD has a lot of out-of-the-saddle work.  But here's how it went.

At first, the SLK felt very rigid when upright.  And quite frankly, there's not a lot of saddle there so I wasn't surprised.  But I quickly got used to it and it seemed to soften up a bit.  When I was in the aerobars, I very much appreciated the near-full-length cutout - no numbness anywhere.  I also found it much easier to sit better on the saddle, and I think that's due to its shape - the sit bones are in contact on the padded part of the saddle without having my legs rub on the horn.  And the leather was very nice - I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.

There's no doubt that this is a high-quality, high-performance saddle.

My butt was still a bit uncomfortable after the 1h45 ride, but I honestly wonder who's a$$ wouldn't be.  But for the $167 I paid for it, I'm left wondering if there should be a bit more comfort or if it's just me expecting too much.  I must admit that the "tri-specific" models do not have a cutout, and I really wouldn't be happy without one.  Something tells me that I'll be sticking with this saddle, but it needs a good little ride on the road for the real test.

One extra thing I tried out was Chamois Butt'r.  I've found that Body Glide doesn't work well enough for me in the "saddle spots" so my lovely wife bought me a tube of this stuff.  I've gotta tell ya, this is some seriously nice stuff!  Don't get me wrong - Body Glide works well, and I'll still use it.  But from now on I'm using Chamois Butt'r in the saddle.  Always.

No comments: