Contributors

Friday, 17 April 2009

Time to find some babysitters

The alarm went off at 4:45am today in preparation for my run into work.  All night long I was thinking about this, trying to hash-out my options for getting around the "tricky" parts of the run.  Do I run on the shoulder of a busy road?  How do I cross the Moodie Drive overpass that's under construction?  I could take the trails on the Greenbelt, but how safe would they be in the morning?

So I opted out of it.  I just couldn't think of a way to remove the risks.  I know that I'd be okay out there, but deep down I know that I can't guarantee that.  Over the past few years, there have been stories in the news about runners that have been robbed or beaten - or even worse, unfortunately - on pathways, and Ottawa's no exception.  My family is too important to put it all at risk.

That means that it's time to call the babysitters!  My wife's out of town this weekend, so it's rollcall for the 'sitters.  My plan is to see if I can get one for Saturday and one for Sunday.  If I can get both, then Saturday's a run and Sunday's another ride with Scott.  If I can only get one 'sitter, then it's for a run.  It's only 5wks or so to the marathon, and it's time for me to nail down these long runs if I'm going to do it.

And if I'm going to do the marathon, I suppose I should register for it too.  :)

No comments: