Contributors

Saturday, 7 March 2009

Dammit dammit dammit!

Last night I decided to let my knee rest up rather than aggravate it further with a bike ride.  I iced it a few times, kept it elevated, and things were feeling much better.  Then I went to move.  I bent my right leg and went to straighten it, and >poof< it felt like my knee was on fire!

I.  Am.  Not.  Happy.  About.  This.

This morning everything feels really good until I need to activate my quads.  After some snooping around, I found something that seems to match my symptoms:  quadriceps tendinopathy.  Basically, it's some sort of injury to the quadriceps tendon which attaches to the top of the patella.

The good news is that it responds to massage and icing.  The bad news is that it takes a lot of rest to fully recover.  :(

Not entirely sure how I'm going to handle this with training.  If there's anyone out there with some tips, please send them my way!

1 comment:

Brian said...

This is still better than a mensical tear. Tightness in the upper lumbar facet joints of the lower back can put a lot of irritation on the femoral nerve which supplies the quads. If this is irritated, it can cause muscle tightness & pain in the quad and sometimes inflammation. The quads will be tight & painful to stretch and there will be a lot of pain. Ice the area and use anti-inflammatories. Try some local massage to any tight areas. Google "Thomas Stretch" and "cat stretch" if you think it is back related. Oh, and check out my latest blog entry on using racing flats for your trainers. Heavy trainers which force you to strike unnaturally on your heel, rather than forefoot, are now being touted as causing all types of injuries.