Contributors

Thursday, 26 February 2009

Perhaps what I've been missing

I hate doing core work. A lot. I find pushing and pulling weights boring. I hate making my muscles ache after only 10 or 15 repetitions, and I hate doing that for 2 or 3 sets. I hate how my head throbs at the end of all this hard effort, and I hate it even more when that throbbing starts half way through the workout. And perhaps what I hate the most is that I know I won't get faster without it.

And that's why I'm loving this Cardio Kickboxing class that my wife and I have been doing. There's a strong strength component sprinkled with aerobic-intensity cardio throughout. There are weights only when circuit-training is done, but they're lighter (the catch is that you have to do them for a longer period of time). You run, skip, punch, kick, block and breathe for the full hour, and it's always different. I find the effects of this class to be just like swimming - you feel it in every muscle of your body, and you know you've done something good.

What have I got out of this class? In six short weeks, here's a list:

  • ~20m butterfly --> 50m butterfly. Wasn't strong enough to survive it before.
  • Increased power on the bike. Proper kick form hits all those leg muscles hard, especially those hip flexors.
  • Stability in the run. I feel a 6-pack growing, my obliques are stronger, and my overall balance is solid. Runs are a lot easier on the hips and back now.

Perhaps the most important and most enjoyable of all:

  • A full hour of time with my wife. Only those of you with kids will really appreciate this one as much as I do.

But don't get me wrong - I'm not the kind of guy to sign up for stuff like this. This was all my wife's doing and, at first, I really didn't want to do it. I thought it would affect the rest of my training too much. Well, it certainly has - for the better...make that MUCH better. Thanks, babe - you rock! (Just remember guys: like it or not, your wife's almost always right about this stuff!)

Aside: This has become a common theme in my family life. She signed me up for Cardio KB and I love it. She signed me up for the Ironman World Championship lottery knowing that I'd never do it myself. She got me started in running, knowing I'd never do it myself. She bought my TT bike, knowing I'd never spend that kind of money on myself. She made me go to a career fair 10 years ago that I was going to skip, and ended up changing my life. Actually, she's changed my life more times than I can count. Makes me realize that it's time that the scales of life need to be evened out....

So for all you athletes (hardcore, sofa-based, or wannabe), if you dislike strength training like me, go give this stuff a try. Cardio KB is a very effective workout that gets you stronger, leaner, and improves your cardio all at the same time.

1 comment:

Closet Artist said...

Just remember without you by my side saying "C'mon babe, you can do it!" I would still be lying on that mat not doing the plank.
Love you.