Contributors

Monday, 23 February 2009

In honor of Wintermen and Winterwomen

Run:  13.3km @ 1hr20

Many weeks back I had said I was going to participate in the Winterman race weekend here in Ottawa.  I was going to do the half-marathon "just 'cause it would be cool."  Obviously, that didn't happen.  But since I'm supposed to be training for  a marathon, I thought I'd better get out yesterday and do the work according to plan.

It took a lot to get motivated, with the new snow on the ground and the cloudy skies...not to mention the nice weekend I was having with my family.  Somehow I managed to do it, though.  And as I trudged through slush, snow and puddles, I thought of the people doing the Winterman marathon and what they've had to train through to do the race.  I'm certain that 30k long runs @ -30C just aren't at all pleasant.

Those thoughts didn't make it easier to be away from my wife and daughter, but it did help me push through a lot of stiffness and tightness on the right side.  It took a long time for it to work out - it was in my quads, glutes and (oddly) my knee - but once it did my stride felt much more fluid.  My cardio held up exceptionally well, and certainly wasn't my limiter.  I can sure tell that I've not run much past 10k for some time....

In the end, it was a run that actually fit my plan for 8mi yesterday (I actually did 8.2).  Once I got home, I stretched, chugged a Recoverite drink (which I'm falling in love with), showered up and then had some good dad-daughter time - snowmen and snow blocks.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Steady she goes in the snow. Better that you take it easy and not risk a sudden slip on the ice!

Kim said...

I also am a fan of the Recoverite drink that stuff does work!