Contributors

Thursday, 16 October 2008

Of all the things I need to watch out for on the road!!!

Bike:  29.3km @ 1hr03 (Morning commute)

I rode in to work this morning to enjoy the remaining days this year where I can actually do that.  It rained overnight, so this morning was cool, humid and a bit more dark than usual.  The only thing I was unsure of was exactly what to wear (I opted for a few different layers to be more flexible).  With the rear flashing light on, and a few extra strips of reflex strapped on, I was off for an enjoyable ride.

Once again I wanted to ease into the ride and not race my way to work.  Again, I wanted to work my aerobic base, but also with slicks on the wheels, I wasn't ready to go down on the wet pavement today.  It was very smooth sailing the whole way through, except for one idiot who felt that he needed to get around me to make the right hand turn on Hunt Club Road....in about 10ft of pavement left.  Thankfully I had anticipated him and took the shoulder earlier than normal, so it was all good.  And since I got to leap-frog him a few times along the congested roadway, I got to give him the "One Finger Wave" to thank him for his idiocy.

Thanks to the wonderful drivers on the road this morning, it was a great, safe, enjoyable ride.  No issues, no close calls, and lots of courtesy for the cyclists out there.

But there's one cyclist out there that needs special mention - and by "special" I mean "riding the short school bus" special.  Here's the situation.  I'm stopped, adjacent to a car at a 4-way stop.  My left arm is extended to indicate that I'm turning left.  The car starts to move forward, as it's our turn to enter the intersection.

Just to make it fun, let's see if you can choose which of the following "Short Bus Sally Cyclist" decided to do:
  1. Say "Excuse me!" and ride through my extended arm, narrowly avoiding being close-lined.
  2. Veer around me and other cyclists (who are obeying the rules of the road) with no regard for the stop sign.
  3. Partially ride through the intersection, then get onto the sidewalk and ride into the crosswalk rather than turning left in the first place.
  4. Ride in front of me and the car that had the right of way through the intersection, as if nothing happened.
  5. All of the above.
Yeah, you probably guessed #5, and you're right.  I'm still amazed at the complete and utter disregard for anyone on the road excluding herself.  I piped up with a few choice words (which she should have understood, since most of them were monosyllabic) but I doubt they had any affect.  I guess sound doesn't really travel well through a concrete block.

Short Bus Sally Cyclist - if you're reading this, then you need to read up on the rules of the road, and how to stay safe on the road.  But don't worry - there's lots of pictures there for you.

No comments: