Contributors

Saturday, 19 July 2008

Temptations

Yeah, I'm still here! It's been quiet on the training front, but not so much from the home and work front. It kind of feels good to get some of that stuff done for a change. It also feels good to be off of a schedule for a while, and just do what you want to.

I did manage to head out for a run on Wednesday (ouch - a bit too soon) and a swim on Friday (which went well, except for the exceptionally large people trying to walk laps). Nothing intense or severe - just something to get moving around again. And if all goes well, I'll toss in a ride tomorrow to work out a few of the remaining kinks.

I still haven't decided what to do for the rest of the season, but I do know that I want to do more races. Here's my options so far:
My wife is encouraging me (as she always does - bless her heart!) for anything, really, and has re-iterated her support for this - even the long stuff. I'd like to improve my run (that's what stood out from the last race, and it's even evident in the rankings) but I don't have the time to get that much stronger before any race remaining this year...other than a marathon (or another half marathon).

With that in mind comes the options for another half-iron this year, or (and?) a fall marathon. I did enjoy the Graham Beasley 113, and I'd like to do it again. But I know that the Canadian 113 half-iron has a flat bike and run course which would work me differently, and that knowledge is really appealing to me. But with longer distances comes longer training sessions again.

And if that wasn't enough to make a guy think, my wife (again) encourages me towards a bike. She first did this last Christmas when we were in Houston. She did it again this week at Bushtuhka where there's a lovely red-and-back Kuota K-Factor with a full Ultegra kit on it. And it's on sale. And there's an extra 10% off during the Tour de France. Who knew I could be so rational as to hesitate on this nearly-forced purchase?!?

Oh, and she also encouraged me to head to Lake Placid this weekend to watch Ironman and line-up for a spot in next year's race. I balked at that, feeling like another long-distance year would bulk up the base. So she countered with how I should volunteer next year, since volunteers get a slot automatically. Now that I can do!

So here I sit with no commitments, no plans, and (almost) no cash (well, not enough for a K-Factor). Not sure just yet what the rest of the summer will bring.

But it will bring more swimming, biking and running. Stay tuned!

No comments: