Contributors

Saturday, 26 July 2008

Guilt, rides and ... basketball?!?

Bike: 80km @ 2hr37 (Almonte, Ontario)

Saturday, 5:50am - Alarm goes off. Ugg. Now what?

I've procrastinated and avoided a bike ride all week, and I've come up with a number of good excuses to throw about. But today, it was time to suck it up and get the job done. Hey, if Mr. Oseen can get up at 3am and get a +3hr ride in before work and kids, I can get up and do this.

I managed to get out the door at about 6.3oam, and the clouds all over looked like a thunderstorm waiting to happen. According to the weather forecast, there was no rain or thunderstorms anticipated until roughly 10am, so I thought I was good. Well, good around Ottawa - not sure if I was going to be riding towards any bad weather. I decided that, for a change, I'd head north towards Carp and go from there. It was pretty smooth sailing, so I decided to just keep heading west aiming for Almonte, rather than Richmond or North Gower.

Overall, the ride was pretty good, albeit hilly (not that I minded). Smooth, uneventful, and relatively quiet on the roads. I'm very happy with the ride - it's been a long time since my race, and I still managed a relatively "easy" ride at 30kph. Good stuff.

Oh - the reference to basketball! I should probably close on that. As it turns out, the town of Almonte has an interesting claim to fame - it's the childhood home of Dr. James Naismith, the founder of basketball.

No comments: