Contributors

Saturday, 14 June 2008

Ottawa Riverkeeper - Oly Tri Race Report

Time: 2h55min57 (new PR)
Swim: 1500m @ 38min58 (includes T1; 108/126 swim rank)

T1:
2min53
Bike: 40km @ 1hr14min08 (includes T2; 59/126 bike rank)
T2:
1min44
Run: 10km @ 1hr01min (yikes! 91/126 run rank)

Placed 8/11 M35-39, 67/85 gender, 92 overall of 126


Ottawa Riverkeeper race route can be found here.

What a great day for a race - the weather held out wonderfully! We were supposed to have thunderstorms and rain all morning, but it never materialized. The humidity, however, did near the end (well near the end for me).

Going into this race, I was really curious to see how my half-iron training was progressing and I kept telling myself NOT to go for a PR. This was just supposed to be a tune-up race and a part of my training, and a key indicator on my progress and weakpoints. Happily, I found a few from each category.

I was lucky enough to get there really early since I didn't get my race kit on Friday. This allowed me to see a good portion of the sprint and super sprint races, and got to cheer on a couple guys that I knew. It also gave me a heap of time to get used to the water temperature - after being in +30C heat for a while, dropping into 19C water was a bit of a change to say the least.

Oh, speaking of my race kit - I had no business with this bib number! :)
So funny! I was laughing about this for some time, actually. But to be serious, I sort of wanted to do this number proud. Sure, I'm not gonna win this race, or my age group, or any age group, but I can still give it my all just like the #1s do. I just wanted to be smart and try to get this nutrition thing down.

Goal #1 - swim this race without a wetsuit. I think I was one of maybe 5 or 10 people that didn't use wetsuits in this race, so I kind of felt proud of that. Sure, it may have affected my swim ranking, but I really wanted to give this a go. And I nailed this down easily. Even with poor navigation (I added a few extra meters!) and lots of sighting (which wears my shoulders down) I found the swim rather easy. In fact my HR was in the aerobic range the whole way!

Goal #2 - be smart about the bike. I know that I need to keep my pace on the bike aerobic and not wear myself down for the run - especially with a half-iron tri. I knew that this was a big fault last year with my first Olympic distance, and I didn't want a repeat. The trouble is that I have too much fun on the bike, and I tend to push just a bit too hard. Now I did to this better today, but I was certainly in the lactate threshold region, with my HR sitting around 85-87% the whole way. I was dealing with the hills and wind very well, and got into a good groove very early. But I think I was still just a bit too hard during this leg. I guess that explains the near-33kph pace!

Goal #3 - don't fall apart in the run! Last year, a combination of bike pace and nutrition killed me in the run and I had a dreadful (and painful) 10k run. I really didn't want a repeat of that - and I didn't. At least not in the same level. My quick T2 left with tight muscles and legs that were still use to the higher cadence from the bike. My first 1km was a 5min20 pace - way to fast - and it wasn't long until that and the associated high HR of 90%max started to take its toll. It took a lot of mental convincing to go in 2.5km chunks, where I walked for 30-60sec to bring my HR down. I got through two of those, and then things got harder and harder. My stomach was starting to bother me (too much fluid, I think) and my HR just wouldn't drop. I added a couple extra walk breaks in there, still hoping I'd break the 3hr mark. Obviously, I did just that. But it sure as hell hurt.

Goal #4 - have fun and learn from this. I certainly did that. It was great being able to see the others off for the sprint and super-sprint races, and I really enjoyed being the visible minority without a wetsuit. I had more than one person say "You did that all with just the front crawl?!?" That was kind of cool. And the people there were very supportive, friendly and talkative. "You wait until your 60! Then you'll really feel it!" said one 60yo man, trying to help me move on the last 2km of the run. I smartly replied "You mean I'm not 60?!?" I may have felt like it, but it was nice to see someone of that age doing better than I was - it shows us that there's still lots of room to improve.

As for the learning - you bet. Here's the highlights for me:
  • I need more swim sets that work on speed/strength. When I get tired, my stroke is exaggerated and my form starts to fall apart. I know this already, but I need to put some emphasis on this. I think I could have come out of the water a few places up if I could hold myself together better.
  • My strongest event has become the bike in "shorter" distances. Now, rather than working on speed and strength, I need to work on pace so I can save more for the run.
  • The initial shock of the water temperature triggers a tightness in my chest for a few minutes. I need to make sure I get into the water early enough before race start to get rid of this. Basically, once I'm used to the temperature, I'm good.
  • My fitness has greatly improved from the half-iron training plan - in all areas.
  • I still need to manage my nutrition better. I find that the more tired I get, the more I ingest, thinking it will offset the fatigue. In fact, it makes my gut more sensitive, and that's just one more thing to worry about.
  • My run strength has no endurance. I could get up and run 10km right now, but it's a different story after the swim/bike stuff. I'm sure that I'll feel this hard again next weekend in Smiths Falls. To address this, I need to find a better balance between long rides, long runs and bricks (I think the majority should be the latter).
  • My run endurance issues probably won't disappear in time for the half-iron, so I need a new strategy. Given the distance, I may start with running between the aid stations, and switching to a 10min/1min run/walk strategy if I need it.
Good times, and a great experience. Probably will try that one again next year.

And now, after my huge ingestion of Hammer products, a super-sized double Big Mac meal, a heap of supper, and some Kit Kat, it's time to hit the sack.

5 comments:

Cliff said...

Congrats on your Oly Tri.

Nutrition is a key to Half Iron. Nutrition on the bike is the key. I keep my HR pretty low on the bike. Meaning granny and grandpas (fast grandpas!) pass me on the bike.

I keep it easy until the run.

I just did a tri today. Fun stuff. Report later.

Cliff said...

Oh i forgot..congrats on a PR :)...

Closet Artist said...

hmmm perhaps some weight training might benefit you {as I have said all along! } LOL

TrainingtoTri said...

Congrats, sounds like you had a good race and learned a few things. I hear you on the bricks, I don't think you can ever do enough of those! And what a cute bib! I love the fish.

Hilário Godinho said...

Hilário Godinho

Peço Asilo Político, Je demande Asile Politique, Ich verlange politisches Asyl, I ask for Political asylum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Resistência Portuguesa Militar e Civil Anti Pide/D.G.S.E. -----

Liberdade, Democracia, Justiça, Imprensa, Direitos Humanitários. Sim.
Ditaduras, PIDE/D.G.S.E., Tortura, Fome, Corrupção. Não Obrigado.
Peço Asilo Político, Dinheiro, Doente e Invalido com Fome em Tribunal com Dívidas.
Enviar dinheiro para a Anti Pide/D.G.S.E..
Sr. Godinho --- Dornacherstrasse, 245 --- CH 4053 Basel --- Suisse. -----

Se não pode impôr a paz, pode convencer pelo exemplo. -----

Peço Asilo Político. -----

Donativos para a Resistência Portuguesa Militar e Civil Anti Pide/D.G.S.E..
Hilário Vicente Rosa Godinho --- Conta de Épargne UBS CHF --- Nº conta 233-691451.M1F --- Nº de cliente 233-691451 --- Iban CH21 0023 3233 691451M1F --- SWIFT Adresse (BIC): UBSWCHZH80A --- UBS AG --- Postfach, CH 4053 Basel --- Suisse. --- Ou ---
Sr. Godinho --- Dornacherstrasse, 245 --- CH 4053 Basel --- Suisse. ---
Telefone: 0041 765 450 994. Comuniquem na Imprensa Mundial. Eu falo Português, E também Francês. -----
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peço Asilo Político, Je demande Asile Politique, Ich verlange politisches Asyl, I ask for Political asylum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Résistance Portugaise Militaire et Civil Anti Pide/D.G.S.E. -----

Liberté, Démocratie, Justice, Presse, Droits Humanitaires. Oui.
Dictatures, PIDE/D.G.S.E., Torture, Faim, Corruption. Non Merci.
Je demande Asile Politique, l'argent, le malade et l'invalide avec la faim devant le tribunal avec des dettes.
Envoyer argent pour l'Anti Pide/D.G.S.E..
Mr. Godinho --- Dornacherstrasse, 245 --- CH 4053 Basel --- Suisse. -----

Si ne peut pas imposer la paix, peut convaincre par l'exemple. -----

Je demande Asile Politique. -----

Donations pour la Résistance Portugaise Militaire et Civil Anti Pide/D.G.S.E..
Hilário Vicente Rosa Godinho --- Compte d'Épargne UBS CHF --- Nº de compte 233-691451.M1F --- Nº de client 233-691451 --- IBAN: CH21 0023 3233 6914 51M1F --- SWIFT Adresse (BIC): UBSWCHZH80A --- UBS AG --- Postfach, CH 4053 Basel --- Suisse. --- Ou ---
Mr. Godinho --- Dornacherstrasse, 245 --- CH 4053 Basel --- Suisse. ---
Téléphone: 0041 765 450 994. Communiquent dans la Presse Mondiale. Je parle Portugais, Et aussi Français. -----
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peço Asilo Político, Je demande Asile Politique, Ich verlange politisches Asyl, I ask for Political asylum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Widerstand Portugiesisches Militärisches und Zivilist Anti Pide/D.G.S.E. -----

Freiheit, Demokratie, Justiz, die Presse, Humanitäre Rechte. Ja.
Diktaturen, PIDE/D.G.S.E., Tortur, Hunger, Bestechung. Nein Danke.
Ich verlange politisches Asyl, das Geld, Kranke und Invalide mit dem Hunger vor dem Gericht mit Schulden.
Senden Geld für Anti Pide/D.G.S.E..
Herr. Godinho --- Dornacherstrasse, 245 --- CH 4053 Basel --- Schweiz. -----

Wenn nicht aufdrängen kann der Frieden, kann durch das Beispiel überzeugen. -----

Ich verlange politisches Asyl. -----

Schenkungen für den Widerstand Portugiesisches Militärisches und Zivilist Anti Pide/D.G.S.E..
Hilário Vicente Rosa Godinho --- Compte d'Épargne UBS CHF --- N° des Kontos 233-691451.M1F --- Nº des Kunden 233-691451 --- IBAN: CH21 0023 3233 6914 51M1F --- SWIFT Adresse (BIC): UBSWCHZH80A --- UBS AG --- Postfach, CH 4053 Basel --- Schweiz. --- Oder ---
Herr. Godinho --- Dornacherstrasse, 245 --- CH 4053 Basel --- Schweiz. ---
Telefon: 0041 765 450 994. Teilen in der weltweiten Presse mit. Ich spreche Portugiesisch, Und auch Französisch. -----
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peço Asilo Político, Je demande Asile Politique, Ich verlange politisches Asyl, I ask for Political asylum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Resistance Portuguese Military and Civil Anti Pide/D.G.S.E. -----

Freedom, Democracy, Justice, The Press, Humane Rights. Yes.
Dictatorships, PIDE/D.G.S.E., Torture, Hunger, Corruption. Not Thank You.
I ask for Political asylum, Money, Sick and Invalid with Hunger in Court with Debts.
To send money for the Anti Pide/D.G.S.E..
Sir. Godinho --- Dornacherstrasse, 245 --- CH 4053 Basel --- Suisse. -----

If it can not impose peace, can convince by example. -----

I ask for Political asylum -----

Donations for the Resistance Portuguese Military and Civil Anti Pide/D.G.S.E..
Hilário Vicente Rosa Godinho --- Account of Épargne UBS CHF --- Nº of account 233-691451.M1F --- Nº of customer 233-691451 --- IBAN: CH21 0023 3233 6914 51M1F --- SWIFT Adresse (BIC): UBSWCHZH80A --- UBS AG --- Postfach, CH 4053 Basel --- Switzerland. --- Or ---
Sir. Godinho --- Dornacherstrasse, 245 --- CH 4053 Basel --- Suisse. ---
Telephone: 0041 765 450 994. Communicate in the World Press. speak Portuguese, And also French. -----

http://pide1.spaces.live.com/

http://antipidedgse.blogspot.com/

http://dgse-dgse.blogspot.com/