Contributors

Monday, 23 June 2008

Aches and Recovery

Swim:  2100m @ 1hr

This morning I woke up with a very achy left shoulder, and it stuck with me all day.  The aches were much worse if I tried to get my left arm behind my shoulder.  Thankfully, I don't think it's anything more than my muscles saying "What the hell was that?!?" after pulling 500m @ 9min with no swimming all week.

But I managed to stop being a little wimp (I am doing a half-iron, aren't I?) and got out for tonight's swim - the 2nd last one of the season.  I was still feeling tired and achy, but I was hoping that I'd loosen up.  Which I did, but I also had to ensure that I didn't further aggravate that shoulder - I don't need an injury at this point!

I managed to get my form early on, but it fell apart quickly when my arm got tired.  The 700m of drill work seemed to help me out, and I could get my form back even through the discomfort.  I even did the timed 800m interval in about 17min.  There's still work to do on form when I get tired, but I think it's always like that (I'm finding that swimming is just like golfing).

So a really good day today - all around.  Great day at home, I survived work, and I had a good swim tonight.  A good way to start the final push to my taper.

No comments: